Summer Bean Salad
This great summer bean salad recipe was submitted by SBS reader, Yvonne. It uses ingredients that can come fresh from your garden or the local farmers market and it makes a healthy and cool lunch or dinner on a warm summer day.
- 1 lb of black eyed peas
- 3 cucumbers
- 1 large tomato
- 1 vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt, pepper and mint to taste
This recipe can easily be made in about 25 minutes, but you will want to cool it for at least 30 minutes before eating.
- Clean the black eyed peas and then cook them for 20 minutes in boiling water.
- Strain the cooked peas through a colander and rinse with cold water. (Rinse water like this is considered greywater and can be captured for reuse in the garden.)
- Chop up cucumber, tomato and vidalia onion into bite sized pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl and cover in the fridge for at least a half hour.
- Taste before serving to see if any additional seasonings are needed. Then use fresh herbs or even edible flowers from your garden as garnish. (Sage leaves are pictured above.)
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was submitted by:
Interested in Affordable, Healthy Food?
I'm extremely proud to present to you the Sustainable Baby Steps guides, helping you delve into the topic of making organic food affordable and simple with easy-to-digest, step-by-step information, inspiration, and tools to help you live green and healthy. Sweet, right?