Helichrysum Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, and Precautions
Helichrysum essential oil (Helichrysum italicum) is made from the steam distillation of the flowers of the plant. It's pricier which is probably why it's not one of the more common essential oils, but after reading all this I'm sure you'll agree, it probably should be. The aroma is distinct and hard to describe, but it's definitely rich, a little earthy, but also sweet and a little fruity. Kinda like honey, but not at all like honey.
It’s most commonly used to support the cardiovascular system, as well as muscles, ligaments, bones, and joints, and most especially, the skin. But I really see it as promoting healing, and I love that it blends well with so many oils (citrus, floral, or spice oils). It's also one of the more gentle oils, making it a safe oil for most people.
- Helps skin recover quickly
- Promotes healthy liver function
- Supports localized blood flow
Aromatically, it has a much different reputation. As with most oils, it can be helpful with stress, particularly anger or emotional pain or despair. For these reasons, it might be helpful for a person who has experienced trauma, even (or especially?) if it was long ago. Old wounds, present turmoil, or even feelings of hopelessness can be supported with Helichrysum oil. This oil can lend a person inner strength to address what might be buried and the courage to see the healing through to the end.
How to Use Helichrysum Essential Oil
Traditionally, helichrysum essential oil uses these application guidelines. Click the banner to understand what each symbol means and to learn how each is used safely and effectively:
Precautions of Helichrysum Essential Oil
Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible. Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization. Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose. Not all oils are created equal, so test brands carefully, and never use an oil in a way not recommended by its maker.
Popular Uses of Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Apply directly to wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks or to soothe minor skin irritations.
- If you've bumped into something, gently apply 1-2 drops over the area.
- Consume as part of a natural cleansing regimen.
- Help relieve tension by massaging onto the temples and the back of the neck.
- Massage 1 drop over the solar plexus and heart center 1-3 times a day or as desired for inner strength.
- Place one drop of helichrysum essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub hands together, cup over nose and mouth, and breathe naturally up to several times a day to lift the spirit.
Inspiration for Using Helichrysum Essential Oil
Skin Soothing Blend: Add 20 drops each Helichrysum, Frankincense, Hawaiian Sandalwood, and 5 drops Rosemary to 5 ml roller bottle. Top off with fractionated coconut oil. Apply to clean skin to soothe and nourish.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON QUALITY
Not all oils are created equal. Because of a lack of industry standards and a lack of regulation on terms such as "natural" or "pure", much of what you find at the drug store is NOT a therapeutic grade of essential oil and may lack real quality or even contain contaminants or adulterants (way more common than you'd think).
A LOT goes into creating a high quality essential oil. A good brand should follow these guidelines:
- Proper plant varieties
- Each plant grown indigenously for the healthiest plant
- Grown without chemical pesticides, herbicides, etc
- Harvested with precise timing to ensure peak properties
- Extracted with proper temp and pressure to preserve oil molecules
- Third-party testing of every batch
- Stand behind the internal use of their oils