The Must-Have Essential Oil Kit: 10 Oils, 100+ Uses for Your Health and Home
With so many options and benefits of different oils, finding an essential oil kit can make your health and well-being simple and affordable.
Of all the kits we promote here on Sustainable Baby Steps, I love the Family Physician Kit the most. Ten incredible and potent oils comprise this kit with incredible benefits:
- Treat colds, flus and infections with naturally antiviral, antifungal oils
- Create home remedies for everything from insomnia to burns to depression
- Cleans anything from hands to toilets
- Has 100+ uses, listed below!
Read below to learn more about the properties and uses of the oils in this essential oil kit.
Oil #1: Lavender
Lavender is the first and most commonly used oil in this essential oil kit has been found to be anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, pain-relieving, antihistamine, antitumor, antimicrobial and more. It's been used for centuries to combat insomnia, allergies, anxiety, burns, cold sores, dandruff, ringworm, yeast infections, rash, and more.
Here are some ideas of how to use and incorporate lavender into your home:
- To add a touch of glamour to your domestic life, spritz your linens with a mixture of water and lavender as you make your bed to combat insomnia or wakefulness in the night.
- Pamper those tired feet with a lavender foot bath. Add some hot water, Epsom salts, and a few drops to really restore your focus after a challenging day.
- Put a drop or two of lavender oil on your toothbrush and gently rub over your chapped lips to exfoliate the dead skin and heal irritation.
- Spend a few minutes giving yourself or a loved one a scalp massage with lavender oil. It alleviates dandruff and feels delightful.
- If you use a clothes dryer, throw in a damp towel with a couple of drops of lavender oil to make your laundry smell divine and decrease stress throughout your day.
- Carry some lavender oil with you on hikes, during camping or at the park for bee stings, sunburns, rashes...you know, those things that happen sometimes when you are exploring the great outdoors.
- For little ones, rub lavender oil on diaper rashes, use it in the bath for Eczema, and massage it into the feet of those babies at bedtime for a sound sleep.
- Add lavender oil to unscented lotion or oil for a nightime body moisturizer. It will help soothe you and is also said to be an aphrodisiac.
- Massage lavender on the back of your neck or your child's neck to combat insomnia and settle down after a busy day.
- You can use lavender as a deoderant by applying it to your armpits (I like to mix mine in a coconut oil base and apply just a drop or two), or as a perfume by rubbing it on your wrists and inner elbows.
Read more about the uses of lavender here.
Oil #2: Lemon
Lemon is the second oil in this essential oil kit and is known to be a powerful antiseptic, with antifungal, antiviral, anticancer and antioxidant properties (and more). Its uplifting aroma makes it great for energy, while its ability to cleanse make it great for the body or the home.
Here are several simple ideas to using lemon oil:
- Stir a couple of drops of lemon oil into your plain or vanilla yogurt for zesty flavor. It is an antioxidant and also tasty in baked goods other recipes.
- Putting a drop or two of lemon oil in your water is a little habit that makes a big difference. It cleans the water, energizes you, and aids your body in detox.
- Those pesky stains like glue, oil, crayons, grease ~ rub them with the lemon oil from this essential oil kit and watch them disappear.
- You can use lemon oil to polish copper and get it to shine.
- If you have a sore throat, drink a mix of 1-2 drops of lemon oil with honey and warm water to get yourself feeling better in no time.
- Are you grumpy? Feeling down? Relax for a moment and breathe in the uplifting scent of lemon to get yourself back on track.
- Replace those commercial hand sanitizers with lemon oil. Rubbing your palms and fingers with a couple of drops of lemon oil kills germs and is much kinder to your body.
- Soak your fruit and dishsponges (not at the same time!) in a sinkful of water with a few drops of lemon to clean and freshen them. Lemon oil also keeps bananas a nice color in fruit salads.
- Mix a bottle of water and lemon oil to keep nearby as a general cleaner. It is great for cleaning and disinfecting counter tops and surfaces.
- A dab of lemon oil is perfect for cold sores and it also is effective when rubbed on corns and callouses.
- Lemon oil mixed with baking soda is a tried and true tooth brightener.
Click here for more info on lemon essential oil!
Oil #3: Peppermint
Peppermint is next in the Family Physician essential oil kit. Peppermint has been shown to be one of the most potent essential oils for the digestive tract, treating things from heartburn to motion sickness and more with its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticarcinogenic properties.
Here are just a few ideas for using this oil:
- Peppermint oil on a cotton ball will deter pests like insects and mice. I even carry it with me on hikes because it is excellent for removing ticks as well.
- Massage your temples with a dab of peppermint to alleviate headaches.
- Peppermint reduces fever. You can apply it to your forehead (just a bit or your eyes wil be watering), but massaging it on the feet is completely effective as well.
- Grab the peppermint when you are itchy. It works wonders in that department.
- Feeling tired? Peppermint will invigorate. Use it on long car drives, when you are studying, or whenever you need a boost of alertness.
- One drop of peppermint is all you need for bad breath. Use your tongue to rub it around your mouth and gums too, because it is a good mouth protector.
- Nausea? Indigestion? Flatulence? Diarrhea? Peppermint is a great friend to the digestive system! Add a drop to each glass of water.
- Massage peppermint into joints. It can help arthritis and reduce inflammation too.
- Peppermint essential oil is suitable for baking. We used a little of it in our last chocolate cookie recipe and it was a refreshing combination.
- A drop of Peppermint in your afternoon water will carry you through that typical slump.
Click here for more info on peppermint essential oil!
Oil #4: Melaleuca
Melaleuca, also known as tea tree oil, is one of the most famous oils in our essential oil kit. It's widely known for it's antiviral properties, making it ideal for cleaning and sanitizing, detoxifying the body, treating illness, and even clearing up skin.
Here are 10 of many uses for this incredible oil:
- You can soak a dog collar in melaleuca oil, or even use a melaleuca oil treated handkerchief on your furry friend to keep those fleas at bay. (NOT for cats though!)
- Melaleuca oil diluted with coconut oil and massaged into gums can help you naturally treat and heal peridontal disease.
- Apply melaleuca to pimples to clear up breakouts.
- For all funky foot fungus, go for the melaleuca. It kills bacteria and fungus while being gentle on you.
- Olive oil mixed with melaleuca is a wonderful wood furniture polish indoors and outdoors.
- I've heard of fishermen using melaleuca oil on their fingers when baiting to eliminate the human scent. Let me know how that goes, I'm not into fishing!
- Turn to melaleuca oil to clean silver.
- Homemade cleanser with vinegar, water, and melaleuca oil is great for bathrooms. It kills the mold in grout and showers and helps those toilets.
- Melaleuca oil is perfect for dressing wounds of all types, but be sure to do a skin patch test long before you need it.
- Do you do cloth diapers? Put some melaleuca oil in the wash. Where there are germs, tea tree is a welcome guest.
Click here for more info on melaleuca essential oil!
Oil #5: Oregano
Yes, oregano, the same stuff you add to your Italian recipes. The oregano in this essential oil kit is a stellar oil for immune support, not only boosting your immune response but helping fight off contagion's with its antiviral, antibacterial, antiparasitic and antifungal properties.
Here are some ideas to get you using the powerful oregano oil in this essential oil kit:
- You can take it internally in capsules to fight off the nastiest viruses.
- Soak your floss in oregano and aloe vera then dry before using.
- Externally and internally, oregano essential oil is useful for bugs. Spray it on the bedding for bedbugs, use it when overcoming parasites and worms, and for repelling bugs that are flying around you.
- Make your own Greek salad dressing using olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano essential oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Yeah, I don't have measurements for you but I know you can figure that one out.
- Diluted Oregano oil is nice for brushing dog's teeth. Just be careful. That's not an easy job!
- If you have a sore throat try gargling with oregano essential oil and water.
- Use a tiny amount of Oregano oil when doing pedicures. Massage it into your feet to boost immunity and prevent any infections.
- It has been reported that oregano oil is effective for food poisoning. This makes me think it would be a nifty vegetable rinse too, to combat E.coli and other common food-borne illnesses.
- Aromatically, Oregano is appropriate for nostril and sinus problems.
- If you have a yeast infection, try adding some Oregano oil to your bath or sitz bath.
Click here for more info on oregano essential oil!
Oil #6: Frankincense
One of my favorite oils in the Family Physician essential oil kit is Frankincense. Frankincense is ideal for serious healing, spiritual well-being, and supporting the body with its multiple antitumor, anticancer and anti-infection properties. Research has even demonstrated that Frankincense can penetrate cell walls and restore damaged dna. It's a terrific oil to use daily.
Some uses of this essential oil include:
- Frankincense is a winner to help you move out of depression. Use it topically or diffuse it in your room.
- If you get an injury where tetanus may be a risk, apply frankincense.
- Stretchmarks? Agespots? Scars? Frankincense will work to help them fade away by gently massaging it into the area.
- Sprinkle a couple of drops of frankincense to your firewood and let it dry before burning. It has a beautiful aroma and sets a rich ambience.
- Frankincense is a tonic for your entire body. It helps your systems to function well and can be applied topically or taken internally, such as in capsules.
- Frankincense is a skincare favorite. It lifts and tones skin and treats wrinkles for men and women.
- Diffused frankincense is calming and effective for allergies.
- Frankincense is very centering and is an advantage during meditation, as well as bedtime.
- For natural anti aging action, use Frankincense liberally in your full body massages. It is good to use alone but also lends itself to blending well.
- Use Frankincense as a room freshener. It clears stuffy heads and is a clarity companion.
- For trauma, use Frankincense to refocus and recenter yourself.
Click here for more info on frankincense essential oil!
Oil #7: OnGuard Blend
On Guard Blend is a top-selling oil and included in the Family Physician essential oil kit. It is delicious smelling and can be used topically, aromatically, or internally. It is a mixture of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary and is ideal for fighting off colds, flu and other illnesses.
Uses for this immune-building essential oil:
- Use OnGuard aromatically to kill pathogens in the air. Breathing it also leverages tension and stress and is enhancing to the immune system.
- OnGuard is perfect to use as a general cleanser because it contains antibacterial properties. Use it in a spray bottle for household duties.
- Create a carpet powder that may be effective against insects by adding 10 drops of OnGuard to 1-2 cups of baking soda and letting it dry. Sprinkle carpets and vacuum.
- Freshen dirty shoes or sneakers by placing a couple of drops of OnGuard in the bottom of them.
- Teething children appreciate a cool, or even slightly frosty, washcloth with a couple drops of OnGuard applied to eliminate pain.
- On Guard makes a fabulous mouthwash when added to water or aloe juice. doTERRA has an OnGuard toothpaste as well for comprehensive mouthcare.
- Place a bowl of hot water with On Guard in it on the table or counter, make a towel tent, and breathe in the steam for relief of congestion.
- Make your own hair detangler using On Guard Blend and a recipe that you like. The rosemary in the blend will help prevent lice and other pests as well. Always avoid sunlight for several hours after applying any citrus essential oil.
- Use OnGuard for toothache. The clove in it alleviates pain.
Click here for more info on OnGuard essential oil!
Oil #8: Breathe Blend
The Breathe blend in this essential oil kit is ideal for all manner os respiratory issues, from asthma attacks to bronchitis, bacterial infections and more.
Some of the best ways to use this oil:
- Just as with OnGuard, place a bowl of hot water with several drops of Breath blend in it on the table or counter, make a towel tent, and breathe in the steam for relief of congestion.
- Diffusing Breathe in the room of people fighting congestion or any respiratory issue is extremely beneficial.
- You can also dilute the Breathe with the OnGuard blend and rub them onto your chest to aid the healing process.
- Use it after an asthma attack to soothe the respiratory system.
- Replace Vicks VapoRub with a blend of Breathe and coconut oil rubbed on the chest.
Click here for more info on Breathe essential oil!
Oil #9: Deep Blue Blend
Deep Blue is my FAVORITE essential oil in the Family Physician essential oil kit. I have scoliosis and several debilitating chronic joint and muscle issues as a result. I first tried Deep Blue for my extreme knee pain that had been flaring up for three weeks. Five times using Deep Blue decreased my pain by over NINETY PERCENT. Obviously, I can't recommend this oil blend highly enough.
My favorite ways to use Deep Blue from this essential oil kit include:
- Massaged into sore muscles to relieve chronic tension from stress or physical injury or disability.
- One or two drop of Deep Blue to 10 or so drops of coconut oil rubbed into my knees to eliminate pain from a torn miniscus.
- Several drops applied over your glutes helps to eliminate sciatic pain.
- Used immediately upon injury with the application of ice.
- Used 24 hours after injury with the application of heat.
- Rubbed into the shoulders and neck to ease tension from long hours on the computer.
- Massaged into the wrists or elbows where tendonitis (Tennis Elbow) is a problem.
- Used on the bottom of feet after a long day standing or walking.
- Used over a fever or even on a hot day for a cooling effect.
- Carefully used with sprains, or overextended muscles or joints (such as whiplash) to promote faster healing and less pain.
- Used daily for relief of pain from disc or cartilege degeneration.
- Apply after a strenuous workout to prevent excessive soreness.
Click here for more info on Deep Blue essential oil!
Oil #10: DigestZen
DigestZen from this essential oil kit is a blend of seven oils that work together to soothe and heal a myriad of digestive issues, including nausea, heartburn, slow digestion, constipation or diarrhea, bacterial or viral infections, food poisoning, gas and more.
Some practical uses of DigestZen include:
- Whether you just have a minor stomachache or are already experiencing throwing up, one drop of Digestzen in a 4 oz glass of water makes an immediate difference.
- You can apply Digestzen externally as well. It goes through the skin to assist the internal organs and is very stabilizing for all digestion issues and processes.
- Make a very mild dilution of Digestzen with a carrier oil to massage onto babies experiencing colic.
- Rub your palms with the oil and then cup them by your nostrils to inhale. This will often help with nausea.
Click here for more info on DigestZen essential oil!
Other Ways to Use This Essential Oil Kit
As you can see, the essential oil kit includes health staples that are ideal for bringing peace and empowerment into your days and your space. I have mentioned ways that you can use them individually, but you can also use essential oil blends for synergy and compound effects.
You could tap into your inner chemist and do some research on the uses of essential oils and experiment, or you could keep a mixture of premade blends available for ease and expediency.
- A great blend from this essential oil kit for illness: Lavender, lemon, and peppermint.
- Another blend for healing: Frankincense, lavender and lemon
- And one for disinfecting and cleaning: Lavender, lemon and melaleuca
- A perfect blend from this essential oil kit for itching skin: lavender, peppermint and a bit of coconut oil.
Some other ideas to use the oils in this essential oil kit:
- Place a cloth with essential oils on it in front of the steam escaping from your humidifier.
- Use cold and hot compresses to apply the oils from this essential oil kit when suitable.
- Foot massage and foot baths are marvelous ways to make the oils available to your entire body, but hand soaks are also enjoyable.
- Oil rings/burners that attach to lamps make it easy to use the different oils from the Family Physician essential oil kit in each room.
- There are many recipes available online about how to use essential oils in salsas, dips, and smoothies. Experiment with food-based oils to find your own favorite.
- Essential oils lend themselves well to homemade beauty and spa concoctions. Use them for soaps, scrubs, lip balm, bath fizzies and more.
- Crafts and art projects offer lots of possibilities for essential oils. Add them to finger paint, hand crafted play clay, and paper creations.
- Essential oils accompany romance well. Use them on pillows, love letters, nightgowns, pajamas, and other ways to increase intimacy and pleasure.
- For earaches, several of these essential oils applied to a cotton ball would work. Or you can lend with olive oil or even water to drop in the ear. (Try lavender, melaleuca, peppermint, or OnGuard.)
- You can scent your hankies with an essential oil and then let them dry so when you wipe your nose you can receive a dose of their therapeutic benefits.
- Use essential oils in gardening and to keep your plants safe from intruders.
- Essential oils are so powerful at improving and reducing stress that they have been used in emergency rooms in hospitals and been proven to work at eliminating tension for staff and patients. If you have a daycare, office, or any high pressure environment (such as raising children), please do invest in a quality diffuser!
- Be sure to check for comments below on more uses of the oils found in the Family Physician essential oil kit, or add you own below!
Where to Get Your Family Physician Kit
You can purchase your own Family Physician essential oil kit from our online doTERRA store.
There are several ways to get your hands on the Family Physician kit: retail, discounted, or wholesale.
But let's face it: retail sucks.
So we recommend purchasing a discounted or wholesale account (similar to something like Costco) to get the best prices on this or other oils. Which is the best fit for you will depend on your needs.
Learn More About Wholesale Discounts
Click here to order now.
Or read more about this offer here.
Ready To Take More Sustainable Baby Steps?
Investing in your health with an essential oil kit such as this one is one positive impact you can make in your home and the world.
When you're ready for a few more steps check out the articles below.
Whatever step you take, remember to have fun!
#1-174 For references on this or other pages, please visit environmental articles.
*Please read our disclaimer regarding all health opinions shared on this site,
as well as our advertising and affiliate disclosure.