Cumin Essential Oil: Benefits, Uses, and Precautions
Cumin essential oil (Cuminum cyminum) is steam distilled from the seeds of the plant. Its aroma is masculine, earthy, and spicy, and of course, reminiscent of cumin powder. It's primarily used to support the digestive system, muscles and joints, immune system, and for flavoring.
- Popular spice used in many dishes from around the world
- Promotes oral health
- Supports digestive health and helps to relieve occasional digestive discomfort
- Purifying to the body's systems
Cumin is commonly thought to support a person who has gone through some form of abuse. It can help you to clear the emotional and physical pain you may be holding onto, as well as provide an emotional barrier or boundary as you examine, process, and health the trauma. Cumin oil being a digestive oil leads to a clue as to how it supports us, by working with the solar plexus center of the body. It can help you find your inner strength again, even tapping into anger to allow you to defend yourself, push through attacks, and not let your abuser win.
How to Use Cumin Essential Oil
Traditionally, cumin oil uses these application guidelines. Click the banner to understand what each symbol means and to learn how each is used safely and effectively:
Precautions of Cumin Oil
May cause photosensitivity for up to 12 hours. Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible. Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization. Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose. Not all oils are created equal, so test brands carefully, and never use an oil in a way not recommended by its maker.
Popular Uses of Cumin Essential Oil
- Dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil and apply to stomach for occasional digestive discomfort.
- Add 1-3 drops to stews, soups, and curries for a spicy flavor and to promote digestive health.
- Dilute and apply to areas of concern to promote healthy circulation.
- Add one drop to 4oz. of water and gargle to promote oral health.
Inspiration for Using Cumin Essential Oil
Cumin Hummus Quesadillas:
- 6 tortillas
- 4 tsp plain hummus
- 4 tsp cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1-2 drops of Cumin oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 TB finely diced onion
- 1 TB finely diced bell pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
Saute onion and pepper in olive oil until softened. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Set aside. Stir cumin oil into hummus, and spread thinly on 3 tortillas. Spread cream cheese on remaining tortillas. Distribute veggies and cheddar cheese on half the tortillas, and put together with the other 3 tortillas. Grill on both sides until cheese is melted and tortillas browning.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON QUALITY
Not all oils are created equal. Because of a lack of industry standards and a lack of regulation on terms such as "natural" or "pure", much of what you find at the drug store is NOT a therapeutic grade of essential oil and may lack real quality or even contain contaminants or adulterants (way more common than you'd think).
A LOT goes into creating a high quality essential oil. A good brand should follow these guidelines:
- Proper plant varieties
- Each plant grown indigenously for the healthiest plant
- Grown without chemical pesticides, herbicides, etc
- Harvested with precise timing to ensure peak properties
- Extracted with proper temp and pressure to preserve oil molecules
- Third-party testing of every batch
- Stand behind the internal use of their oils