Easy, Fast and Vegan: Brown Rice with Vegetables
Making a simple meal of brown rice with vegetables is not only healthy; it's easy and it's affordable, making it a great winter or spring meal.
This recipe is great for your body, combining the more nutrient dense brown rice, with the cleansing and immune benefits of onions and kale. We found this diet when my husband and I were on an "elimination diet", trying to pinpoint and eliminate foods that disagree with our bodies. (This would be an elimination diet Phase One recipe.)
Since brown rice takes longer to cook, I suggest cooking it in larger batches for easy reheating and using for second meals within a few days.
You can really add anything you want to your brown rice, but here's what we most recommend:
- 2.5 cups of brown rice, cooked
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Chop the red onion and add it to a large hot pan with olive oil. Cook until caramelized.
2. Add in the chopped kale and cook until wilted, usually about 5 min.
3. Mix in your cooked brown rice until warm. Add sea salt to taste.
4. Optionally, you can experiment with any vegetables you like, such as shredded carrots. You can also have some fun by adding in raisins or apple for added sweetness or cooking the onions in coconut oil (the caramelized red onions are usually all the sweetness I need in my brown rice with vegetables, but raisins and apples are pretty yummy.)
Simple. Wholesome. Hearty without being too filling.
Interested in Affordable, Healthy Food?
I'm extremely proud to present to you the Sustainable Baby Steps guides, helping you delve into the topic of making organic food affordable and simple with easy-to-digest, step-by-step information, inspiration, and tools to help you live green and healthy. Sweet, right?